The Odessa Police Department would like to remind motorists to use extra caution when traveling through work zones. Over 22,000 crashes occurred last year in Texas work zones with 186 people killed.
Work Zone Reminders:
1) Slow Down - Unsafe speed is one of the main reasons for work zone crashes.
2) Pay attention - Avoid distractions and keep your mind on the road.
3) Watch out for road crews - They wear protective gear such as vests, hardhats and safety boots.
4) Don’t tailgate - Rear-end crashes are the most common type of work zone crashes.
5) Allow extra time - Plan accordingly and road construction can slow things down.
Traffic fines double in work zones when workers are present and can result in a $2,000 fine. Failure to “Move Over & Slow Down” can also result in a $2,000 fine. State law requires motorists to move over a lane or reduce their speed to 20 mph below the posted speed limit.