Here are some Holiday travel tips from OPD that can help keep you and your home safe while you are away:
1. Never leave clues that you are on vacation such as social media posts.
2. Have a trusted friend or neighbor collect mail, newspapers, packages, etc.
3. Park a vehicle in your driveway to make it appear that you are present.
4. Use timers on lights, radios and televisions to create the illusion that you’re home.
5. Avoid driving alone or at night. If you must shop at night, park in a well-lit area.
6. Do not leave valuables in plain sight. If you need to continue shopping, place all valuables in the trunk of your vehicle prior to arriving at your next destination.
7. Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
8. Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious vehicle in the area.
9. Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location.
10. Be aware of your surroundings and report all suspicious activity.