Citizen's Police Academy
OPD Citizens Police Academy Program
The Citizens Police Academy is a 12-week program designed to give the public a working knowledge of the Odessa Police Department. Each session consists of a weekly class that meets at the Odessa Police Headquarters. The instruction is comprehensive; each week different units within the Department are covered whose goal is to educate the public about the Odessa Police Department and to increase the rapport between citizens and police officers.
We hope that the Citizens Police Academy graduates become more aware and better informed about how the Police Department operates and encourage friends, coworkers, and families to join the Odessa Police Department in this community program.
Click on the image down below to see a video on our CPA program!
There is no registration fee and the Odessa Police Department will provide all classroom materials.
The Odessa Police Department has stopped taking in applications for the 28th session of the Citizens Police Academy since March 18th, 2022.
Odessa Citizen's Police Academy Participant Standards
- Section 1: Admission
- Section 2: Attendance
- Section 3 Participant Dress Code
- Section 4: Classroom Demeanor
- Section 5: Participant Dismissal
Applicant admission standards for acceptance in the Odessa Police Department's Citizen Police Academy are:
- A Citizen's Police Academy Enrollment Form must be fully completed and submitted before an acceptance evaluation can be determined.
- All applicants will undergo a criminal history background evaluation; all applicants who will be attending must be free of adverse or serious criminal history information. Individuals possessing a felony conviction will be denied attendance. The Odessa Police Department reserves the right to deny an applicant based on adverse information obtained from the criminal history background.
- Once all application requirements are satisfied and an acceptance evaluation is completed, a letter of confirmation will be sent to all invited participants.
- A class schedule will be sent to invited participants prior to the start date.
- Participants are asked to commit to the full term of the course (12 weeks). Consideration will be given for unforeseen circumstances and we ask that you call the Odessa Police Department and leave a message if you are unable to attend a class.
- Young children will not be allowed to attend the class sessions.
Participant Dress Code Standards
Participants are requested to dress appropriately. Comfortable and casual attire, neat in appearance, is advisable. Absolutely no shorts or flip flops.
Classroom Demeanor Standards
- We encourage and hope you will enter into any and all discussions enthusiastically and give freely of yourself and your personal experience or knowledge of law enforcement. You are invited to ask questions at any time.
- Remember, a discussion is the way for all participants to contribute and think cooperatively to obtain information, solve problems and/or satisfy questions, but the Academy is not intended to serve as a "gripe session." Please come to class with the intention of learning about our operations.
- It is the duty of the Citizen's Police Academy (CPA) coordinators to maintain order. A participant whose actions are found disruptive or unruly, will be warned to correct his behavior. Failure to comply with the warning will result in the student's removal from the class.
- Please afford the instructors proper respect and make sure all cellular phones are turned off or muted.
- As with all government buildings in Odessa, there is no tobacco products of any kind allowed in the building.
Participant Dismissal from the Academy
The Odessa Police Department reserves the right to excuse or dismiss from class, and/or from any remaining classes of the Academy, any individual violating any provision or section of the standards and guidelines set forth in the Citizen's Police Academy.