- Clean gutters in order to prevent water build-up
- Do not overwater landscaping
- Drain and eliminate mosquito breeding habitats by clearing away freestanding water from:
- Bird Births
- Empty Flower Pots
- Flower Saucers
- Rain Barrels
- Rain Gutters
- Frequently change the water in birdbaths
- Get rid of temporary pools or fill them with dirt
- Swimming pools must be circulating and properly treated
- In ponds use fish that eat larvae to prevent them from developing into adults. Example:
- Mosquito Fish
- Rather than fogging, place bacterium thuringiensis Isrealensis (BTI) in ponds or any standing water. Example: mosquito dunks
Also, insecticides like Insect Growth Regulators (IGR) can inhibit the development of larvae and mosquitoes without harming your pets. Larvicides are the insecticides utilized to exterminate the larval life stage of an insect. Environmental Protection Agency and state-approved larvicides assist in stopping the larvae and pupa from reaching the adult stage.
Adulticide is a substance that is used to eradicate adult mosquitoes.
Larvicides such as mosquito dunks and handheld adulticides sprays can be purchased at your local home improvement store.
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends using products that contain 20% or more DEET.
- Find an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved personal mosquito repellent to protect against mosquito-borne illnesses and bites.
- A low technology method to fight mosquitoes is fans. Mosquitoes are not strong enough to fly around when they are on.
- Make sure window air conditioners are placed appropriately and will not permit mosquitoes to enter through gaps.
- While outside, wear long-sleeved clothes to prevent mosquito bites.